Factors Influencing Climate In Africa
The factor influencing climate in Africa include:
- Ocean currents
- Distance from large water bodies
- Nature of the coastline
Climatic Regions Of Africa
Climatic Regions of Africa - Image Courtesy
- Equatorial climate
- Mediterranean climate
- Desert climate
- Warm temperature climate
- Savanna or tropical climate
- Mountain climate
Characteristic Of Climate Regions Of Africa
- The following are the characteristics of climatic region experienced in Africa.
1) Equatorial climate
* It lies between 5° North and 5° South.
* Experiences high temperature throughout the year.
* It's wet throughout the year.
* Diurnal range of temperature is small and ranges between 2° Celsius to 3° Celsius.
* The region receives convectional rainfall mainly in the afternoon.
*the region also experiences high humidity.
2) Savanna or tropical climate
* Lies between 5° North and 15° South.
* Has a wet season and dry season.
* Rainfall decreases as the distance from the equator increases.
* Receives the highest rainfall when the sun is overhead.
3) Mediterranean climate
* Experienced along the coast of Mediterranean Sea in Tunisia, Morocco and Algeria.
* Also experienced along the South-West coast of Africa around Cape Town.
* Experiences four seasons which are spring, summer, autumn and winter.
* The highest temperature is about 25° Celsius and the lowest is 10° Celsius.
4) Desert climate
* They are hot and dry.
* Rainfall received is less than 250mm per year.
* Experiences high temperature throughout this year.
* Has a clear sky during the day and at night.
* Has extremely low temperature at night and very high temperature during the day.
5) Warm temperature climate
* Experienced in South-East coast of Africa.
* Highest amounts of rainfall received in summer.
* Has seasons; hot and we summers and warm and wet winters.
6) Mountain climate
* Receives relief rainfall.
* Increase in height leads to decrease in temperature.
* It's cool and wet throughout the year on the windward side.
* Experienced in the highland regions.
Seasons Experienced In Africa
- Seasons are caused by revolution of the earth around the sun.
- Most parts in Africa experience two seasons. They are:
- Hot and dry season
- Cool and wet season
- Some parts along the Mediterranean coast and the South-West coast experience four seasons.
Influence Of Climate On Human Activities
- Deserts discourages human settlements
- Cool areas encourages dairy and crop farming
- Savanna grasslands support pastoralism , ranch and tourism
- Hot and wet areas are good for crop farming